Thursday, August 6, 2015

Unley Library Design

As Hanlie detailed at the business unit meeting on Monday, we need to put our thinking caps on and come up with ideas for how we can best utilise the floor space at Unley Library as a part of our RFID design while staying within an achievable budget.

We are lucky enough to have an architect coming up with concepts for the Goodwood Library design, but at Unley we are on our own. Which is fine because we have decades (centuries even!) of library experience between us and we are a creative yet logical bunch. So think about how our customers use (or want to use) our services at Unley and throw your two cents worth in the Comments section.

There is already a potential design you can use as a basis:
And there are more ideas @  H:\Library\RFID PROJECT TEAM\Floorplans.

Feel free to chat to your friendly RFID team for any more information you require :)

So bring it on team, and comment away!

3 comments:

  1. I like the look of the new entrance with new books and reservations close by. I think this will assist those customers who do a lot of their transactions online and then just want to pick up and leave. With parking being at a premium around Unley, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of our borrowers head down that path if they are not there already.

    I also like Amelia's idea from the meeting of switching the info desk and the quick computer desks around - having a staff presence at the entrances would be positive I think.

    Ideally, it would be good if we could have a space for Tech Help in the main library still - but if this is looking to be tricky, we can just locate the Tech Help classes inside the Tech Lab instead. It is not a major deal and there are other things that are more important in this project!

    I think we should definitely have a bit of an 'acting out' session on a Monday morning at Unley so we can have a bit of a play around with where any congestion might be to see if we can all come up with solutions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amelia here, I've added some other layout ideas in a PDF in H:\Library\RFID PROJECT TEAM\Floorplans
    I tried to think about best utilising our existing furniture, providing more table space for customers using laptops and mobile devices, and keeping in mind how customers and staff will move about our spaces.
    I added comments to the PDF to show some of my thinking about the features.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks Amelia. We really appreciate your input.

    This is a great opportunity for us to all have a think about how things flow in the Customer Service area. We all need to be thinking about floor space design but also the types of tasks that we do and how this relates to us moving around out there on the customer service floor.

    I'm thinking it needs to look cool, but also be really practical as well.

    Please keep your ideas coming!

    cheer Rachel

    ReplyDelete